<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 
SOUNDBITE OF THE DAY Democrats need to come up with more quick, sharp retorts like this one:
A mandate, for example, that every cargo container headed into the United States be X-rayed and subject to a radiation scan before it leaves a foreign port to search for a possible nuclear bomb is not now feasible, [Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff] said.

Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, Democrat of New Jersey, was trying on Tuesday to persuade him to consider such an effort.

“I put my daughter in my car,” Mr. Chertoff told Mr. Lautenberg. “If I wanted my daughter to be 100 percent safe, I’d put a five-mile-an-hour speed limit cap on the car.” But that is not an option, he added, “because that’s more safety than we can afford.”

Mr. Lautenberg seemed unimpressed. “If we inspected one out of 20 people going into the White House for tours, or coming into this place, would we feel secure?” he said. “I don’t think so.”


CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.