<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 02, 2006

 
EXIT, STAGE RIGHT Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) leaves the reality-based community:
MR. RUSSERT: You’re now voting for the tax cut which you had not voted for.

[...]

SEN. McCAIN: On the tax cuts. I do not believe in tax increases. Now, it was a gimmick that was--that the tax cuts were temporary and then had to be made permanent. The tax cuts are now there and voting to revoke them would have been to--not to extend them would have meant a tax increase. I’ve never voted for a tax increase in my life.

MR. RUSSERT: Well, that’s important. But it would, it would, it would mean that...

SEN. McCAIN: But it’s be very important that I finish saying what I think.

MR. RUSSERT: But, let me just, for the record, it would have gone back to tax rates.

SEN. McCAIN: Yes.

MR. RUSSERT: That you had supported.

SEN. McCAIN: Yes. But the economy had adjusted, the tax cuts were there, and if it would have been--and that’s the way it was designed. It would’ve been tantamount to a tax increase. And that’s, and that’s a fact. And I’ve never voted for a tax increase in my life with the exception of...

MR. RUSSERT: So there’s no politics?


CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.