<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 16, 2004

 
STEWART ON THE ATTACK Jon Stewart seems to have gone more or less ballistic during his appearance on Crossfire this afternoon.

It started off slowly:

STEWART: I made a special effort to come on the show today, because I have privately, amongst my friends and also in occasional newspapers and television shows, mentioned this show as being bad.

[...]

STEWART: And I wanted to--I felt that that wasn't fair and I should come here and tell you that I don't--it's not so much that it's bad, as it's hurting America.
But things soon turned nasty:
CARLSON: Jon, Jon, Jon, I'm sorry. I think you're a good comedian. I think your lectures are boring.

STEWART: Yes.

CARLSON: Let me ask you a question on the news.

STEWART: Now, this is theater. It's obvious. How old are you?

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: Thirty-five.

STEWART: And you wear a bow tie...

[...]

STEWART: Now, listen, I'm not suggesting that you're not a smart guy, because those are not easy to tie.

[...]

STEWART: What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

[...]

CARLSON: Well, I'm just saying, there's no reason for you -- when you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.

[...]

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one.
And finally:
STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.
UPDATE: You can watch the clip here.


CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.