<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 01, 2004

 
IN YOUR NAME The thing I find surprising about the photos coming out of Iraq isn't the fact that such incidents--ugly though they may be--are occurring.

And I can't say I'm shocked that at least a few soldiers think humiliating Iraqi prisoners is a blast.

What's startling is that American troops might feel comfortable having themselves photographed taking part in such brutality--and, indeed, mugging for the camera.

If these kinds of acts can be perpetrated openly, during the metaphorical light of day, then what kinds of conclusions should we draw about the things that go on during the dark of night?

UPDATE: Kevin Drum links to more photos. (Note: They are graphic and disturbing.) I have no reason to believe they are fakes, but I have not been able to corroborated their authenticity.



CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.