<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

 
THE UNSPEAKABLE THOUGHT At the end of last night's press conference, my head was swimming. But one thought overwhelmed the rest: He's just not up to it.

And let me be clear about what I mean.

The President may be a strategic genius away from the cameras. I have my doubts--believe me--but I concede it's at least possible that on a person-to-person level, he's a great leader, motivator and manager.

Still, in times of crisis, every president must have a command--beyond the level of bumper sticker phrases--of the arguments and ideas that are shaping the actions of his administration. And he must able, and prepared, to communicate those arguments to the American people, and to the world.

As reluctant as mainstream pundits have been to say it, last night's press conference made it clearer than ever that George W. Bush simply isn't up to that task.



CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.