<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 09, 2004

 
Russert Redux Wondering what GWB had to say for himself the last time he was on Meet the Press? A couple choice excerpts from the Feb. 13, 2000 taping:
MR. RUSSERT: Let me talk about...the surplus.

GOV. BUSH: Good.

MR. RUSSERT: And the way it works is this, there's $ 4 trillion in surplus.

GOV. BUSH: Correct.

MR. RUSSERT: But there are actually two surpluses. The Social Security trust fund, which is your payroll tax--

GOV. BUSH: Right.

MR. RUSSERT: --generates a $ 2 trillion surplus.

GOV. BUSH: Yes, sir.

MR. RUSSERT: You can't touch that money.

GOV. BUSH: I agree.

MR. RUSSERT: That's in the Social Security trust fund.

GOV. BUSH: I agree.


And later on:
MR. RUSSERT: Now, let me show you a picture of Governor George W. Bush and the gentleman there to your right. On the left of the screen is Bob Jones III. Let me show you what he said about your dad, which I think is rather chilling. And I'll put it on the screen for you and our viewers, "I believe that Mr. Reagan came to office with good intentions, but he broke his promise to us when he took on Mr. George Bush, a devil, for his vice president. Mr. Reagan has become a traitor to God's people."
How could you sit with a man who called your dad a devil?

GOV. BUSH: Well, you know, each of us change in life, and now he doesn't believe George Bush is a devil.

MR. RUSSERT: Did he tell you that?

GOV. BUSH: No, he would have told me that, I presume. I presume he was an honest enough man if he invited a son who is--completely loves his dad like I do.


Ah, the glorious days when he was still known as "Gov. Bush"...


CONTRAPOSITIVE is edited by Dan Aibel. Dan's a playwright. He lives in New York City.